Home Instead History & Mission
About the Owner
Dan Pahos moved to Birmingham, AL in 1993 after meeting his future wife, Andrea, a native of Birmingham. Born and raised in St. Paul, MN, Dan graduated from the University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management in 1987 with a degree in Marketing. In 1995, Dan married the former Andrea Olvey and they live in Vestavia Hills, AL where they are raising their two children.
After dealing with long distance elder care issues, while taking care of his parents in MN, Dan decided to resign from his industrial supplies sales position and start up the first Home Instead Senior Care franchise in the state of Alabama. Home Instead has positioned itself to be the premier home care company for the elderly and disabled in the Birmingham area.
Dan is active in the local community, serving on several boards that have an impact on things that matter most to him: Faith, Aging issues, Entrepreneurial Endeavors, and Improving Community. A partial list includes:
- Birmingham Business Alliance, Entrepreneurial Roundtable Chairman, 2006-2011
- Birmingham Business Alliance Board of Trustee, 2006 - present
- President, Alabama Interfaith Coalition on Aging, 2005
- AL Chapter President, Home Care Association of America, 2008 – present
- Case Management Society of America, Birmingham Chapter board member, 2003- 2005
- Alzheimer’s of Central Alabama, Vice President of Research and Development, 2004 – 2009. Also board member 2004 – 2009.
- Center for Religion and Disability board member, 2001 – 2008
- Rotarian – Shades Valley Rotary Club, 1999 - present
- Small Business Person of the Year, 2010, Awarded by Birmingham Business Alliance
- Inc. Magazine 500/5000 Fastest Growing Companies in America, 2010-2012
- Entrepreneurs Organization (EO), Masters Program at M.I.T./ Boston Class of 2012.
- EO Alabama Chapter Forum Vice President, 2012- current.
- Leadership Conference winner for Home Instead Senior Care, 1999 - present
- Hurricane Relief Fund committee member for Home Instead Senior Care, 2005
- Home Instead Senior Care Franchise Exchange Council, Home Instead Senior Care, member 2005 -2006
Dan enjoys spending time with his family, reading, golfing, snow skiing, and ice hockey.