Questions to Ask Home Care Providers
Home Instead of Fayetteville, NC believes families should have the necessary knowledge to choose the best home care company for them. We understand that starting the process of looking for home care can be daunting, so we've created a number of questions to help you compare home care companies!
(Home Instead's own answers are below each question in purple.)
1. Is the company a NC Licensed Home Care Organization (HCO)?
Keneri, LLC dba Home Instead of Fayetteville is licensed with the state of North Carolina as an In-Home Care provider. If you are interviewing other companies, be sure to verify that they are licensed with the state. We are happy to provide prospective clients with a copy of our license at their request.
2. Does the agency have 100% employer responsibility for the caregivers? Or does the client assume some, or all, of the employer responsibility/risk?
Home Instead employs all CAREGivers as W-2 employees, as required by NC state law. We maintain 100% of the employer responsibility for our CAREGivers, including: payroll, tax withholdings, annual training competencies, bonding, and workers compensation insurance.
3. Have all the caregivers been trained?
- By whom?
- What is the extent of their training?
- Does the training include Alzheimer's specific training?
Each of our CAREGivers completes a comprehensive, multi-phased training program before they ever meet or serve a client. They also participate in ongoing training programs as they are offered throughout the year. These training and enrichment programs are conducted by our on-staff RNs, as well as our dedicated HR department. Many of our CAREGivers have opted to take specialized training modules for advanced levels of caregiving such as Alzheimer's and dementia care.
4. Have all the agency’s caregivers passed criminal background checks, drug screenings, and driving record checks?
Home Instead® requires drug screening of all CAREGivers. We also conduct thorough background checks with fingerprinting on all prospective CAREGivers. In addition, we complete a driving record check and require tuberculosis testing. We will not send anyone into your home that we wouldn't invite into our own. It's that simple.
5. Are the caregivers bonded and insured?
Each person who enters your home is bonded to protect you against loss. We believe in taking care of the people who take care of your family.
6. Does the agency cover the caregiver with workers’ compensation coverage?
Yes. Home Instead carries Workers Compensation Insurance to protect each of our CAREGivers in case of a work related injury.
7. Can you check references on the agency?
Yes, we encourage you to read about other Client and CAREGiver experiences! Home Instead has online reviews from Clients and CAREGivers on our website, Google, Facebook, and Caring.com.
8. Does the agency offer back-up / replacement caregivers if our regular caregiver is unable to come?
Yes. We have a team of CAREGivers that readily fill-in when the Client’s regular CAREGiver needs to request a day off or be out sick. We will always offer a CAREGiver to fill-in.
9. How much flexibility will you have in setting a schedule for services?
Flexibility is crucial to customize each Client’s care schedule. Home Instead can provide as little as a three-hour visit, or as much as round-the-clock care, depending on the needs of the Client. Clients can adjust the care schedule as needed by coordinating with our Scheduling department.
10. How does the agency provide quality oversight of the care provided?
Home Instead of Fayetteville has a dedicated team, our Client Care department, whose primary function is to monitor the quality of care and make adjustments to the care plan to account for changing client needs. Our Client Care department also ensures that the proper equipment and training is in place to keep Clients and CAREGivers safe.
They conduct weekly and monthly quality assurance phone calls and home visits with the CAREGiver, Client, and client’s family. It is a relationship focused position, and Clients and CAREGivers both benefit from extra attention and support because of this specialized team.
11. Can I use my long term care insurance policy to pay for services?
Typically! Once a client has opened a claim with their long term care insurance company, we are happy to communicate with the company that the client has purchased a policy with. We take care of sending them the necessary documentation needed for reimbursement of services so you don't have to.
12. What if I need help once normal business hours have already ended? Is staff available to take my phone call after-hours?
While we do not provide emergency medical services, we do have a staff member available to answer the phone for after-hours needs and concerns. This includes weekends and holidays!