Questions to Ask Home Care Providers
1. Is the company a CA Licensed Home Care Organization (HCO)? What is their HCO License #?
California law established the Home Care Services Consumer Protection Act which, as of January 2016, requires Home Care Organizations to be licensed and creates a public online registry for Home Care Aides who have been background checked.
Our license number is HCO 304700285. All agencies must have a license to operate in California.
2. Does the agency have 100% employer responsibility for the caregivers? Or does the client assume some, or all, of the employer responsibility/risk?
Home Instead employs all CAREGivers as W-2 employees, as required by CA state law. We maintain 100% of the employer responsibility for our CAREGivers, including: payroll, tax withholdings, annual training competencies, bonding & licensing, and workers compensation insurance. Our clients, and their families, carry zero employer responsibility or risk when receiving care through Home Instead.
3. Are all the caregivers CA Registered Home Care Aides (HCA)?
Yes. All Home Instead CAREGivers are Registered Home Care Aides with the state of CA, and have cleared a DOJ & FBI background check with fingerprinting.
4. Have all the caregivers been trained?
Each of our CAREGivers complete our training program, as well as, “buddy up” with a senior CAREGiver prior to ever meeting or servicing their own client. They also participate in periodic ongoing training programs as we develop them. Your CAREGiver also may opt to take specialized training modules for advanced levels of caregiving, such as Alzheimer's care, Dementia, and Parkinson’s.
5. Have all the agency’s caregivers passed criminal background checks, drug screenings, and driving record checks?
Home Instead® requires drug screening of all CAREGivers. We also conduct thorough background checks on all prospective CAREGivers. We will not send anyone into your home that we wouldn't invite into our own.
6. Are the caregivers bonded and insured?
Each person who enters your home is bonded to protect you against loss. And we insure all of our CAREGivers to protect against loss, too. We believe in taking care of the people who take care of your family.
7. Does the agency cover the caregiver with workers’ compensation coverage?
Yes. Home Instead carries Workers Compensation Insurance to protect each of our CAREGivers in case of a work related injury.
8. Does the agency offer back-up / replacement caregivers if our regular caregiver is unable to come?
When your scheduled caregiver is unable to come, we work diligently to make sure we cover these shifts. We also work with the families on a contingency plan for when these situations occur.
9. How does the agency provide quality oversight of the care provided?
We regularly stay in contact with our clients and their families. Our Client Care Coordinator and Client Ambassador at Home Instead Placentia have one goal in mind: developing and delivering the highest quality home care experience for your loved one. From their initial care consult and client onboarding to their regular quality assurance visits, our team will ensure that your loved one is safe and thriving in their home environment!