Father’s Day Activities That You Can Do From Home
Father’s Day is fast approaching! The holiday, which falls on Sunday, June 20, 2021, originated in Spokane, Washington. The first celebration was held in 1910 at a YMCA to honor Sonora Smart Dodd’s father, William. He was a Civil War veteran and a single parent of six children! Home Instead wants to honor all Nashville area fathers, old and young alike. Below are some ideas taken from the Daily Caring website to help you and your father celebrate Father’s Day, no matter what he enjoys!
5 activities for dads who like going out:
In addition to celebrating Father’s Day with a meal at a favorite restaurant, many older adults enjoy activities like golfing, fishing, or bowling.
There are also plenty of fun, low-key activities like mini golf, cornhole, horseshoes, bird watching, or lawn bowling. For sports fans, another great option is to enjoy a live game together.
More Father's Day ideas:
- Take a walk through nature – in the park, on an easy hiking trail, or through the neighborhood.
- Visit a local museum, photography exhibit, or well-known sightseeing spot.
- Attend a local car show – classic cars, muscle cars, or whatever revs their engine!
- Treat him to a relaxing massage or an old-fashioned professional shave and haircut.
- Stroll through an indoor shopping center. It’s a pleasant, air-conditioned place to chat, people watch, and do a little shopping. Plus, there are plenty of bathrooms, seating areas, and food and drink options.
6 activities for dads who enjoy staying in:
It’s not always easy for older adults to leave the house. For those who prefer to stay in, there are a number of fun activities you can enjoy together.
- Watch their favorite sports on TV with plenty of tasty snacks.
- Get family or friends together for a card game. If they enjoy betting, use pennies or play money to keep things lighthearted and fun.
- Invite family and friends for a relaxed get together. Have a potluck meal or backyard BBQ!
- Bring home a takeout meal from his favorite restaurant.
- Watch an old favorite movie or a new blockbuster he’s sure to enjoy.
- Play cards or a board game together.
Show Extra Love with Expert Elder Care Assistance:
Go the extra mile by providing your dad with assistance from Home Instead. Our caregivers are highly-trained to assist the elderly with their day-to-day activities. Whether dad needs companionship, personal care or 24-hour support, we are always here to help. We work with families to tailor the level of attention to meet your loved one’s needs. Call our Clarksville, TN office at (931) 648-7800 for more information.