As many of us at Home Instead Senior Care serving Central Oregon have
loved ones and clients whose lives have been saved because of blood
transfusions, blood donors are people we hold particularly dear. There
are as many reasons to give blood as there are blessings in your life to
count. But in honor of January National Blood Donor Month 2014, we’ve
narrowed it down to 14:
1. At a time when you or someone you love needed blood, there was blood available.
2. You were moved when you saw images of the aftereffects of Typhoon Haiyan and other natural disasters.
You are one of the 7% of people who have Type-O negative blood, which
can be given to anyone, regardless of blood type so your blood is
extremely valuable when emergency personnel don’t know the blood type of
4. Blood banks often experience a shortage of blood this time of year.
5. Every time you donate, you can help save up to three lives.
Of the more than 1.6 million people who were diagnosed with cancer last
year, many will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy
7. You are one of the only 3 percent of people in the
U.S. who have AB-positive blood type. AB-positive type blood donors are
universal donors of plasma, which is often used in emergencies, for
newborns and for patients requiring massive transfusions.
Although an estimated 38% of the U.S. population is eligible to donate,
less than 10% actually do each year. You want to be among them.
9. A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
10. 4.5 million Americans would die each year without life-saving blood transfusions
11. Your company, church group, book club or family is looking for a positive way to “give back.”
12. You cannot get AIDS or any other infectious disease by donating blood.
13. Anyone who is in good health, is at least 17 years old, and weighs at least 110 pounds may donate blood every 56 days.
14. It is the right thing to do.
If you are able, please consider donating blood this month.
For more information, please contact Home Instead Senior Care of Central Oregon at 541-330-6400 or Like us on Facebook.
Home Instead offers free monthly newsletters with tips and advice for caregivers of elderly loved ones.
Each Home Instead Senior Care franchise is independently owned and operated.