"Very satisfied with my 3 helpers."
"Excellent caregivers. Both outstanding. No complaints. Very prompt."
"Thank you! Everything is wonderful!"
"I am a senior, but did not need any home assistance until two months ago, when a received a diagnosis of advanced cancer and began chemotherapy treatments. My husband also has a disability, meaning that both of us really need assistance.
We called Home Instead, who sent a representative to our home to interview us about the kinds of assistance that were most important to us. The first companion care aide they sent us was a perfect fit - willing and able to do the tasks we needed, conscientious, reliable, and very good-natured. When we go out on errands, she is always more careful than I about making sure I am safe. When we go grocery shopping, I drive a cart, and she makes sure the coast is clear before I leave an aisle. It is a pleasure to have her with us."
"He's always prompt, on time. He is a dependable friend. I trust his honesty. Now we occasionally even disagree---with no rancor at all. I have frequently said, believing this, that he adds 1-2 years to my life. "
"Companionships and watching services. On time.
Agency responsive. "
"We have been working with Home Instead for just under a year. President Patty and Client Services Manager Diana M. have been considerate and caring advocates for our parents. Caregiver Marguerite is punctual, kind and empathetic in her relations with my parents as well as proactive and efficient when it comes to executing tasks such as cleaning, cooking and other household duties. "
"Both Susan and I are very happy with Home Instead. We have been clients for over sixty years with the same caregiver, Paulee, plus, several others on an “as needed basis”. We always receive prompt and efficient responses to our requests and the staff is always caring and respectful to our calls. We could not be happier with our caregiver or with the service we receive from Home Instead. You are the best!"
"Working with Home Instead has been a pleasure and a blessing! Jan and the other staff members have been courteous, knowledgeable, and amazing!"
"The service provides an assistant for limited caregiving, clean up and transportation for appointments and companion care.
The staff is always professional and on time. The staff is engaging and wonderful to work with everytime.
The staff is responsive and helpful."
I wanted to take some time to write to express from my vantage point, as a loving nephew of a wonderful woman, just why I think Home Instead's professional, expert assistance saved her life.
My aunt was suffering from acute pain caused by a fracture in her back. As a result, she was not eating or drinking, yet she was affirming that she was "full" each time that I or a caregiver tried to get her to eat.
Her health declined to the point of having to have her hospitalized. The experience for my aunt, who suffers from mid-stage Alzheimer's, was bewildering and frightening. They were able to diagnose a previously unrecognized infection and treat it. But after running many tests, they realized that there was little they could do about her back pain.
The hospital was insisting that my aunt be transferred to a nursing home upon release. We knew that if she went to a nursing home, she would give up. She would be confused by unfamiliar surroundings, noises, and people who would require her to wake, eat, bathe, and sleep on their schedule. Such confusion would, in our opinion, make her mental condition much worse. With an active "DNR," the nursing home staff wouldn't perform heroic life-saving measures if she gave up and died.
However, with Kelli and Diana's assistance, 24-hour, 7-day-a-week caregiving was quickly organized. I was able to prove to the hospital that my aunt would be safe and well cared-for at home.
Now that the hospitalization incident is two months behind us, let me share with you the warm, rich story of a significantly improved quality of life for my beloved aunt.
Each of the Home Instead professionals have worked very well with my aunt (and me) to help her to have adequate nutrition, to take her meds on schedule, to drink fluids, to bathe, and to use the toilet WHEN it fits my aunt's needs and her schedule. Day or night, at any time -- if my aunt needs help to use the toilet, or she's hungry, or she just wants to talk to someone, we can be assured that she will get the help she needs when she wants it -- on her schedule, not someone else's. And, in particular, she is in her own home in familiar surroundings.
While the nastiness of Alzheimer's will be a burden for all of us to deal with as we enable my aunt to live out her life, the family is most certainly assured that my aunt's quality of life is significantly better. Here are some examples:
1. She always smiles, and is happy. Happy to greet each day, greet each caregiver, greet visitors. Her happiness is such a delight for all of us.
2. She eats small meals throughout the day (and night). Her nutrition has improved so much that her doctor took her off some meds because she didn't need them any more -- her improved diet made the requirement for two meds no longer necessary. Not taking those meds had an added benefit in that my aunt no longer complains about feeling weak or "wobbly."
3. My aunt now can pull herself up out of bed or a chair and walk with her walker. She is carefully guided, but her ability to resume some sort of normal activity on her own volition is a sure sign of the care that Home Instead professionals have rendered. She wouldn't have been able to do that without their help and patient guidance.
4. I've taken my aunt for "a walk" several times, by taking her outside and cruising around her neighborhood while she is in her wheelchair. It has been great for her psyche and for me, as well (certainly I appreciate the exercise.)
5. Most importantly, my aunt has retained her dignity and sense of self-worth. Her caregivers make her feel that she is important and she has something to say in directing daily decision-making for her wants or needs. I cannot explain how that makes my aunt feel as a woman who is accustomed to being an independent-minded decision-maker.
Thank you -- thank you all -- for all you have done and continue to do such that my aunt's life has returned to a quality that we were worried was gone.
Please share this as you wish, and in particular, share this with the wonderful caregivers who are working with my lovely, wonderful, warm-hearted, and HAPPY Aunt Lee.
—Rocky L. Leisure World
We can tailor a home care arrangement to fit both your family's lifestyle and budget.
Reap rewards beyond measure -- and get paid, too.
As a locally owned business, we offer friendly, responsive service right in your neighborhood.
Home Instead offers free monthly newsletters with tips and advice for caregivers of elderly loved ones.
Each Home Instead Senior Care franchise is independently owned and operated.