It takes a special person to become a Home Instead® CAREGiverSM, not a special degree. No prior experience, certification or schooling is necessary for this position - we provide all the CAREGiver training you’ll need. Here’s what you DO need to become a CAREGiver:
- A strong passion to work with seniors
- A positive attitude
- Excellent communication skills
- Access to reliable transportation
Additionally, you must submit to drug testing, a criminal background check and a driving record check. And you must meet minimum age requirements (Check with your local Home Instead Senior Care® office for specific requirements in your state.)
What does a Professional CAREGiver Do?
In a nutshell, in-home senior care is anything you do that enhances the quality of life for seniors and helps keep them independent. Home Instead CAREGivers provide a variety of non-medical services that allow seniors to remain in their homes, including companionship and home-helper services.
Companionship services provide healthy interaction and stimulating activities that are vital for helping seniors stay healthier – both physically and mentally. Primary responsibilities of companionship services include:
- Providing conversation and encouraging seniors to share their thoughts and memories
- Helping clients stay as active as possible through outings and activities
- Being a reassuring hand to steady and help seniors walk safely
- Preparing meals and cleaning up meal-related items
- Reminding clients to take medications or keep medical appointments
Home helper services generally involve light housekeeping, errands, or occasional transportation. Primary responsibilities include:
- Performing light housekeeping tasks such as dusting, vacuuming, making beds, changing linens, cleaning bathrooms and kitchens, etc.
- Washing and ironing laundry
- Running errands
- Accompanying clients to appointments
Other responsibilities might be added to these lists, such as personalized care or Alzheimer’s care, depending on your situation, but the most important and rewarding responsibility of a caregiving career is bringing value to a senior's life.
Next, we invite you to learn about:
|Become a Home Instead Senior CAREGiver|