Choosing A Non-Medical Home Care Company
1. How long has your company been operating locally?
2. Where is your company's office?
3. Where do your caregivers primarily reside?
4. Is your organization a national and state member of the Home Care Association of America (HCAOA) ?
5. Does the office you are talking with receive standards, support, education, training and more from a corporate or main office?
6. Does the company bond/insure their caregivers to protect clients and their families from liability? If yes, please ask for documentation of bonding/insurance coverage.
7. Are those providing the care actual employees of your company? Do they receive a W-2 from you?
8. Does the company cover worker's compensation for those providing care?
9. How does the company scree and select their caregivers?
10. Does your company engage in criminal background checks? If so, do they engage a background check provider or merely entering a name into a website?
11. What training do caregivers receive? Is the training on-going? How often are the training sessions provided? Do you have a list of the topics covered for last year's training sessions?
12. Has the agency been recognized by any third party organizations for their caregiver training programs?
13. Are drug screens professionally administered to those providing care and processed by authorized laboratories?
14. Do caregivers maintain a log of activities while providing care? If so, how is this information available to family members?
15. Who directs the quality of care provided to caregivers?
16. Is there a nurse on staff?
17. Are care plans developed for each individual client? Ask to see a sample of the care plans.
18. Is a live contact available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week?
19. Who handles phone calls after normal business hours? Does the owner of the business?
20. Can your company provide a list of references of other Clermont or Brown county clients or family members?
21. What happens if I don't like my caregiver? How long will it take to replace him/her?
22. Does your company have someone whose primary responsibility is to ensure quality customer service?
23. Does your company engage J.D. Power or a different form of quality control company to gauge client satisfaction?