In-Home Alzheimer's Care
Studies have shown that the best place for a person with memory loss is in familiar surroundings. Our approach of encouragement and assistance helps family members cope with the challenges of dementia care. Since 1994, families like yours have trusted Home Instead Senior Care to provide one-on-one Alzheimer's care and dementia care for individuals with Alzheimer's disease and dementia in San Francisco. The Alzheimer's Services by Home Instead Senior Care are a valuable, trusted solution to help your loved one maintain a regular routine, thus enhancing his or her quality of life.
Read more: Training Molds Special CAREGivers
Read more: CAREGiver of the Month
A Program for Alzheimer's
Nearly six million individuals in the United States and Canada alone have Alzheimer's disease and related dementia—a number that is expected to reach nearly 20 million in the next five decades. To some these are just statistics, but to us, they represent millions of families with loved ones who require special senior care, both at home and in assisted living facilities.
At Home Instead Senior Care, we’re serious about providing home care for Alzheimer's San Francisco, CA for those suffering from Alzheimer’s and other dementias. That’s why approximately 40 of our CAREGivers are graduates of CARE: Changing Aging Through Research and Education. The CARE training covers distinct modules taught over a semester, and each module focuses on three Alzheimer’s and dementia caregiving objectives:
1. Addressing client’s personal needs
2. Engaging the client
3. Managing difficult behaviors
Each module includes presentations, discussions and interactive activities such as role playing. The core of our Alzheimer’s CARE program is development of the Life Journal which provides insight to the seniors we serve and guides each CAREGiver in client interactions.
CAREGivers are encouraged to participate in a support group for CARE program graduates where individuals can learn from each other through dialogue about best practices. Each Home Instead staff member also mentors several CAREGivers in an effort to continue the Alzheimer's and dementia care conversation after they have completed the home care for Alzheimer's San Francisco, CA program.
A Home Instead CAREGiver trained in the CARE program have a passion and desire to work with Alzheimer’s or other dementia clients. Our CAREGivers bring the following skills and support to families and loved ones:
• Capturing Life’s JourneySM—Gathering past stories and experiences helps the CAREGiver give comfort and customized care; all the while honoring who the senior was earlier in life.
• Applying Techniques to Manage Behavior—CAREGivers use techniques such as giving simple choices and redirecting, allowing your family member to remain calm and safe at home.
• Encouraging Engagement—Engaging seniors throughout the day builds self-esteem, enhances physical strength and reduces behaviors that need to be managed. Using techniques and activities, CAREGivers focus on your loved one’s mental, physical and social well-being.
• Supporting the Family—CAREGivers understand the struggles and challenges that accompany caring for a loved one. They are trained to work closely with the family and have open communication giving you increased peace of mind.
For more information about our Alzheimer’s CARE program, please call us at 415-441-6490.